14 Dec Dimitris Y. Apokis – Chief Editor / Coordinator, International News, Hellenic Broadcast Corporation
October 2019 – Present Supervisor / Coordinator Int. News, ERT, Hellenic Broadcast Corporation
2018 – Present OpEd Writer thepresident.gr
2013 – October 2019 Public Television, International News Editor and Analyst.
2012 – 2013 Hellenic Broadcast Corporation, ERT International News Editor
2009- 2010 Ministry Of Culture and Tourism, General Secretariat of Sport, Greece. Minister Advisor and
Director, Office of the Secretary General of Sport.
2010 – 2011 Ministry of Health and Social Solidarity, Greece. Special Advisor to the Deputy Ministry for
for Sports for All and Nutrition, on International, European Union, and Public Relations
2005- 2010 Correspondent, Investor’s World Greek Weekly Newspaper, Washington, DC.
• Conceive and develop op-ed (opinion) articles regarding European Union issues, U.S. foreign policy, and International Economic Policy
Positions held concurrently:
1994-2006 Bureau Chief – Diplomatic Correspondent, Hellenic Broadcast Corporation
(ERT – NET), Washington, DC.
• Covered U.S. foreign policy towards Southeast Europe with special focus on Greece, the Balkans, Cyprus, Turkey, NATO, and the European Union.
• Published in print and electronic media editions (Daily live reports).
• Developed and managed relationships with regional and international media.
• Arranged and conducted interviews with high-ranking government officials.
2000-2005 Correspondent, BBC World Service Radio, Department of Greek Service
• Identified note-worthy stories; prepared dispatches.
1999-2005 Bureau Chief -Correspondent, TO VIMA Greek daily, Washington, DC.
• Wrote op-ed articles and reported on U.S. foreign policy with a focus on Greece, Turkey, the Middle East and Iraq.
• Interviewed high-ranking government officials (Members of Congress, U.S. State Department, NATO, Foreign Ministers).
• Identified and researched major news stories and special reports.
1996-2004 Bureau Chief, Cyprus News Agency (CNA), Washington DC.
• Reported daily on issues relevant to Cyprus and Southeast Mediterranean.
1994-1995 Associate, Press Office, Embassy of Greece, Washington, DC.
• Developed and implemented creative recommendations to improve media outreach in promoting the national interests of Greece in the United States.
• Identified and cultivated relationships in the print and electronic media community to promote a positive image of Greece to the American public.
• Planned and executed conferences and events (Dozens of Press Briefings and Conferences on issues related to the national interests of Greece in which the range of participation ranged from twenty journalists or analysts to hundreds of professional participants).
• Researched and prepared daily press reports and special projects.
1989 Chief of Staff, Executive Office of Army General P. Tsekouri, Athens, Greece.
• Supervised and managed staff of ten personnel.
• Pitched stories to the media.
• Planned events and arranged travel.
• Handled inquiries from government officials, media and the public.
1987-1989 2nd Lieutenant, Hellenic Army
Head of Greek Delegation (Due to the absence of the Minister) at the Informal Meeting of Sports Ministers of European Union, Spain, Madrid, 2010 Head of Greek Delegation, Sports Directors Meeting E. Union, Spain, Barcelona, 2010. Representative of Greece, EU Sports Forum, Spain, Barcelona, 2010 Head of Greek Delegation, Sports Directors Meeting European Union, Belgium, Leuven, 2010. Representative of Greece, EU Sports Forum, Belgium. Representative of Greece, EU Sports Forum, Hungary, Budapest. Representative of Greece to the Negotiation (EU Working Party on Sport) for the first “Three-Year Work Plan” of the EU Sport Policy, Brussels, Belgium, 2010. Representative of Greece, EU Expert Group, Sport, Health and Participation, Brussels, Belgium, 2010.
SAIS Alumni College, 2007 and 2008, Washington DC, USA
MA, International Public Policy, Johns Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) (2000)
BA, International Relations, The American University, School of International Service, Washington, DC (1998)
Publications and Media Appearances
National Review Online
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
The Hudson Institute, Adjunct Fellow 2008 – 2009
The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS), London
Foreign Policy Research Institute
The White House Correspondents Association
U.S. Department of State Correspondents Association
U.S. Senate Press Gallery
English, Greek (Native speaker-level fluency, written and oral)